Thursday, November 18, 2010

SOCIAL EXPERIEMENT - JOSH STYLE

Reserved, guarded, timid are not words that most people use to describe me. That is only because they know me. We have a relationship. Once we know each other, the descriptions do a complete 180 degree turn. They become words like talkative, candid, and outspoken. So why is there such a difference?

Underneath the opinionated person that my friends and family know, I am someone who is less confident than I would like to be. It is kind of scary to reach out and talk to strangers. What if they don't like me? What if I use my strange sense of humor and they don't get it? What if....? All of those what ifs keep me from becoming the person I would truly like to become. Now don't get me wrong, I am not someone who stares at the floor and never speaks to anyone. I overcame that years ago, LOL. However, I don't ever too far past a pleasant smile or the idle chit chat with a cashier.

When my son was much younger, probably around 12 or 13, he used to do what he called social experiments. We always shopped for groceries as a family. In the grocery stores, he would walk up to random people, put his hand out to shake their hand and say "Hi, my name is Fish!" I have to admit, I was both intrigued and embarrassed just a little by his forwardness. It just was not something that people do. I never told him how much I actually admired him. I will today. So I am going learn to do today what my very intelligent son knew at such an early age.

So today I am challenging myself! I have several things to get done today. I have to go have my brakes checked, get my haircut, and meet a friend for dinner. Today, I pledge to reach out and talk to at least five people. Here are the rules I am setting for myself.

1. These people must be total strangers
2. I must introduce myself
3. I must engage with this person, not just get an introduction

When the day is done, I will report back to you my experiences. Today, I am not going to go through the motions. Today, I will interact with the world around me. Today I will grow.

As always, thanks for reading! Please tune in tomorrow for the update!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome and appreciated.