Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Aunt Char's Boo-Boo

Do you ever wonder what little kids and babies think about? I think it is easy to assume that they have short attention spans and only focus on what is in front of them. My great niece, 23 months, showed me otherwise.

Yesterday, we had stopped by her house. When I picked her up, she looked at me, crinkled her nose, and said "oooooh." She was kind of grossed out by a sore on my lip from a very slow-healing fever blister. I asked her if she saw my boo-boo. She nodded and I told her it hurt. She kept saying boo-boo hurt. I assured her it would get better and I would be okay.

Today, Ralph went to her house again, but I wasn't with him today. As soon as he walked in, she looked at him and said, "Aunt Char's boo-boo hurt?" Her mom said she had been saying that all day. That tells me she had been thinking about that since yesterday. It also shows her compassion and her ability to be concerned for others.

It amazes me to watch her learn and grow. It amazes me more how she absorbs everything around her. I try to take every opportunity I have to teach her. She is so eager to learn.

Her dad is like our son. We have always thought of him as our own, so we consider his daughter our trial run at being grandparents. I am not ready to be called a grandmother just yet, but I know when the day comes, it will be a wonderful experience.

1 comment:

Your comments are always welcome and appreciated.