Thursday, March 11, 2010

My Very First Blog - Reprinted on this site

I am about to turn 40 and find myself standing at the proverbial fork in the road.  My children, now 20 and 18, are living their own lives.  For the last 20 years, every decision I have made has been about them and their futures.  Now, I have the time to focus on reinventing my life and deciding to do what matters.  That brings me to this fork in the road. 
Down one fork is “normal.”  Normal is what I have been doing my entire life.  I obtained my degree in Business Admistration so I could work in accounting.  I worked really hard to prove myself to my employers and make a good living.  With a good paycheck, we bought a nice home, nice cars, and lots of toys.  Now I find myself unemployed due to the economy.  We are going to lose all of the “stuff” that we worked for.  The normal thing to do would be search for another job in accounting so I could still have a good paycheck.  Then we could get that “stuff” again. 
But what about the other fork?  The other fork has endless possibilities.  Down the other fork, I can be the entreprenuer I have always dreamed of being.  Down the other fork, I can balance my work and my personal life on my terms.  Down the other fork, I can do what matters.  Down that fork, I can be “crazy” and decide that a fancy house, fancy cars, and “stuff” doesn’t matter.  I can choose experiences over material possessions.  I can decide that “enough money” is enough to put a roof over our heads and food in our tummies.  And I can decide that my freedom is more important.  I can decide that spending time with our aging parents is worth more than all the “stuff ” in the world.  But all of that would be “crazy.”  What about the American Dream?  I say with this fork, I decide what the American Dream means to me.  I decide what matters.
This blog is to document my journey in discovering who I am and what matters.  I hope you will join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome and appreciated.